After months of reports, rumours and leaks, WhatsApp has now finally rolled out its much-talked about Status update feature for all. This is one of the major updates the chat app has rolled out after the addition of video calling functionality.
Also Read: WhatsApp Status rolls out: Tips to use it without blowing up your world
WhatsApp added the video calling feature to its app last year and we went all crazy seeing the update. Despite having numerous other video-calling options, WhatsApp video-calling received a lot of buzz due to the fact that it makes the entire process of video calling easier and presents the option in the simplest way possible. Sadly, I can’t say the same about the new Status update feature. Not even 24 hours have passed since the update went live and it has already received numerous downbeat reactions from users. Many people have given their thumbs down to the update and Twitter is flooded with such tweets today. We share few:
While these tweets are self-explanatory, there are several other reasons why people are not liking the WhatsApp Status update. Here are the top 5 reasons:
1. Where’s my good old status? Well, that is the question everyone has on their minds. WhatsApp has removed the old status update feature that people used with their profile photo. The app after the update, no more shows the old status. Instead you can now only see your username and the phone number.
To all those people who used their status as a subtle medium to inform their contacts about their absence or availability in town, WhatsApp’s new feature won’t help them.
2. WhatsApp’s new status update has no place for words. This is the second big problem with this update. The new WhatsApp Status update allows you to share photos, videos and Gifs but no texts. You cannot ‘post’ any text Status, which is rather strange. If you want to say something you have to say it with photos.
3. Love, heartbreak and friendship in just 24 hours.This is what the new WhatsApp feature wants from you. The new update does not allow you to post text messages. At the same time, it also won’t let you keep the status for more than 24 hours. In simple words you have to post updates every morning if you want your contacts to know that you’re on holidaying in Malaysia and they should not call you. So every morning you have to wake up and religiously post a new Status.
4. Where’s the contacts list? This is another big question users have on their minds. Do you remember the old-looking WhatsApp? If yes, then you would also remember that there used to be a contacts tab just next to the Chat tab. Try finding the tab now. The updated WhatsApp no more shows the contact tab where you could find all your contacts. Instead, it now shows message logo at the bottom which if you touch takes you to the ‘select contact’ page where you find all your all contacts. This is unnecessarily complicating the simplest thing.
5. WhatsApp is now like Instagram, Snapchat, it’s social media app. WhatsApp was once a haven for those looking for private and one-to-one conversations and liked to stay away from the PDA of Facebook, Snapchat or Instagram. WhatsApp was adored for being a messaging app only but today it looks more or less similar to the other photo-sharing apps likes Instagram or Snapchat. So why do we need it?